Monday, February 9, 2009

Going Green

I've seen many reusable shopping bags at the store and I always think that I should get some. It would be better for the environment, and I'd have less plastic bags around. But then what if I'm shopping at Target and I have a Walmart shopping bag? Would I be able to use it there or would I have to buy a Walmart bag to shop there? Then I'd end up with a lot of bags from all the places I shop and it would be too confusing to remember to bring a certain bag with me when I went to a certain store. SO I did nothing. For many months I continued to get the plastic bags. And yes I know that they too can be reused (in bathroom garbage's,etc.), but for the most part I have a lot of plastic garbage sacks accumulating in my cupboard.

Since my Mom was out visiting I thought this would be a great project for her. She is a fantastic sewer and I just happend to have a large quantity of green canvas fabric. She found a pattern online, modified it a little and then got started. Well, maybe I should say that we all got started. There was a lot of "helpers" which probally made the job take a little longer.

Thanks Mom! I've already used them, and love them!
Click to play Family Sewing
Create your own photobook - Powered by Smilebox

5 comments:

sara said...

Those are some great pictures! I can't believe you even had Audrey and Isaac sewing. That's pretty good!
I'm glad you're all healthy for the environment. I feel the global warming starting to cool off already

Smart Helm said...

Silly me, I didn't even think about the Walmart bags in other stores. Walmarts is cheapest, so that's what I use. Too bad Smiths and Target! (and Barns and Nobles and Joanns and Home Depot...)

Smart Helm said...

PS. You have a SURGER!?!? I am so jealous. And you never showed us the final product.

Shawna said...

Very cool! I loved that the whole family was a part in the making of the bags. I bet Audrey will help you to remember to use them since she helped make them.

I wanna see the final product also.

Barbaloot said...

Nice work on the going green thing---and I'm glad I'm not the only one that wondered if you could take re-usable bags to all stores:)