Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Depressing

I've been going to the gym fairly regularly and starting to feel kind of proud of myself too. I met with my trainer last month and she took my body fat test. I was a little off the charts (and not in a good way). So this month (today) she did the test again, but then didn't say anything about it. She worked my butt off, made me sweat, feel sore and then left and filed my chart. I did a little more cardio and then started to leave when I remembered that that she hadn't said anything about my test.

So I went to look at my chart.

I've lost 4 pounds!!!! Hallelujah! BUT my body fat percentage went up! How is that possible? Why do I bother going to the gym? Does this mean that I need to give up my peanut m&m's?

Very depressing...

3 comments:

Smart Helm said...

Certainly not! Hello.. I'm gaining pounds and I'm working harder than I did last summer when I weighed less. And don't go saying its muscle.... I'm slower than last year.
So.. welcome to the human body. And.. on a positive note, you can only go down from here!

Gail Zussman said...

Hey - I've been working with a trainer for over 2 years - now I see her once a week I first started with once a month for the first 18 months.
When I first started working out Eliza I lost 20 pds and then hit a plateau for almost 2 years - I have just recently began to drop more -
What I have learned are a few things:
We have to change our eating patterns (giving up dark chocolate just does not seem possible to me!) and I always feel so much better after either cardio or weight training which makes me a nicer mom and person, each time I work out is a step towards better health!

Hang in there!
Gail Zussman

Habs said...

Working out sucks and not shedding pounds sucks even more. I found it is better to stop looking at the scale. You will notice over time that your clothes fit differently. It takes several months of hard work though. It's tricky because as you loose weight you gain muscle so when you step on the scale the numbers don't seem to make any sense. I think those BMI tests are usually wrong and not very precise. Hang in there it will take a while but you feel so good when it does!