Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Becoming a Pioneer

Sara saw a post about someone who was going to make their own laundry soap and thought that we should try it. Being the couponing woman that she is, she called the company that manufactures the ingredients that we would need. They were happy to send her some coupons and 6 to 8 weeks later we were ready!

Unfortunatley at this point in my post the pictures that we took are lost forever.

I can tell you that it was easy to make. The reciepe made a TON of soap. I love it! It smells good, works great and saves me a bundle! I've also used 2 of the main ingredients, Borax and Super Washing Soda, to clean my house with great results. These two ingredients are now used for my dishwasher soap, (combined with jet dry, I didn't like the effects of the vinegar that you were supposed to use) and for cleaning the floor of my shower. It is starting to get sparkly white!

So maybe I'm not quite like a pioneer woman

but a lot can be said about these woman that used everything they had to make their family's lives better. It reminds me of stories that my Grandma Coral has told me of growing up in the great depression and then later raising a family during WWII. These woman were amazing.

I'm just trying to stretch my dollar and this seemed like an easy way to do it. I am very happy with the results, both to the cleanliness of my home & clothes and to my budget.

4 comments:

sara said...

So sad we lost those pictures! I just made a batch of the stuff the other day and I love the smell. Some people say it's too strong, but I think it just smells clean so that's a good thing. Way to go on using those supplies to clean other things. I still need to try the dishwasher part.

rychelle said...

you two are amazing!

maybe we'll have to do a craft day that included making our own detergent.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

So sorry about the pictures. At least I saw you two shopping for ingredients, so I can kind of picture it. And maybe not having pictures makes it more pioneer like.

Way to go on being so resourceful.

Shawna said...

That is so cool. Can I come smell your clothes? lol I'm a freak about how things smell. I tried to use the vinegar and water thing to clean with but missed the smell of pine-sol too much.